1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1-2 cloves finely mince garlic
2 Tablespoons chili powder (or to taste)
1 cup fresh or frozen corn
1 15-16 oz can tomato sauce
1 15-16 oz can diced tomatoes
1 8 oz can black beans
1 cup cooked quinoa
(Click here for basic how to cook quinoa recipe)
1. Heat olive oil in a heavy saucepan and sauté onions until softened.
2. Add garlic and cook gently on low heat. (High heat will cause garlic to overcook and become bitter.)
3. Stir in chili powder, corn, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Fill one tomato can with water (about 2 cups) and stir in.
4. Cook, covered, over low heat for about 30 minutes.
5. Add more water, depending on the thickness you prefer.
6. Add black beans and heat through.
7. Ladle into bowls and top with scoop of quinoa.
Tip: Or try your own favorite chili recipe with a scoop of quinoa on top.
Serving size: 1 cup= 145 calories, 20 grams carbohydrates, 7 grams protein, 3.5 grams fat