Makes 6 servings
6 large green peppers
1 ½ cups dry quinoa
3 cups water
3 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. Slice off top of green peppers, remove seeds
2. Rinse quinoa before cooking to remove the coating of a bitter substance called saponins.
3. Bring water to a boil.
4. Stir in quinoa, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until all of the water is absorbed.
5. Stir in tomatoes and **chopped onions.
6. Add season salt to taste.
7. Divide between the green peppers
8. Place in a baking dish or muffin tins.
9. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until peppers are slightly tender.
Nutrition facts: Calories 200; carbs 38grams; protein 7grams; fat 2 grams
Variations: Try yellow, red and orange peppers instead of, or with, the green.
For a heartier filling, add ½ cup shredded cheese. I like Colby.
**If you prefer your onions less crunchy, sauté them in a little olive oil before adding to the mixture.