Makes four (4) servings as a side dish
1 cup water
½ cup quinoa
8 fresh figs
2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1. Rinse quinoa before cooking to remove the coating of a bitter substance called saponins.
2. Bring water to a boil
3. Stir in quinoa, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until wall water is absorbed.
4. While quinoa is cooking, cut figs in half lengthwise
5. With the back of a spoon, press an indentation into each cut-side of the fig.
6. Fill each indentation with cream cheese (about 1 teaspoon in each)
7. Warm honey slowly over low heat; whisk in cinnamon and nutmeg
8. Divide quinoa onto four dishes; arrange four fig-halves on the quinoa
9. Drizzle with spiced honey and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
1 serving= 300 cal, Protein = 6 grams, Carbs = 50 grams, Fat =10grams
Variations: Try with mascarpone or ricotta cheese; sprinkle with a variety of nuts.