Ingredients for salad:
¼ cup Quinoa
½ cup vegetable broth (either homemade or pre-prepared)
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tomato, seeded and diced
1 cup fresh or frozen (thawed) corn
Ingredients for dressing:
3 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil ( I prefer extra virgin olive oil)
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
2 green onions, sliced (use the whole green onion)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1. Rinse quinoa before cooking to remove the coating of a bitter substance called saponins.
2. Bring water to a boil.
3. Stir in quinoa, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
4. While quinoa cooks, mix dressing ingredients
5. Add drained black beans, tomato and corn to cooked quinoa
6. Cool and refrigerate.
7. When chilled, add dressing and serve
Nutrition facts: 4 servings: 309 calories; 44 carbs; 12 gm pro; 11 gm fat AND a whopping 14 grams of fiber!
This recipe was adapted from www.usaswimming.org. Check out this website for great info re swimming!