Adapted from Delicious Living
3 cup water
Pinch of kosher or sea salt (optional)
1 cup quinoa flakes
3 tablespoon pure maple syrup, divided
6 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In small saucepan, bring water to boil. Add salt, if using, and quinoa flakes. Stir and cook for about 1-1/2 minutes or until cereal starts to thicken.
2. Mix in 1/2 tablespoon syrup, most of the pecans, and vanilla extract. Transfer to a small serving bowl.
3. Top with remaining 1/2 tablespoon syrup and remaining pecans.
4. Serve immediately.
Variations: Try adding a handful of dried fruit or a combination of fruits and nuts
Nutrition facts: 3 servings: 288 calories; 42 carbs; 5gm pro; 12 gm fat
Makes about 6 servings
1 cup water
½ cup quinoa
2 cans fat-free cream of mushroom soup (or homemade if preferred)
½ cup skim milk
8 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
10 oz package frozen broccoli, cooked and drained
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1. Rinse quinoa before cooking to remove the coating of a bitter substance called saponins.
2. Bring water to a boil
3. Stir in quinoa, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until wall water is absorbed.
4. Stir together milk and soup
5. Ladle 1/3 of mixture into bottom of a 12×8” oven proof pan
6. Arrange 1/2 of egg slices on top of soup mixture
7. Layer 1/2 quinoa; 1/2 broccoli;1/3 soup
8. Repeat layers; broccoli covered with soup will be on top.
9. Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition facts: 160 calories;12.5gm carbohydrates; 10.5gm protein; 5 gm fat
Variations: Try other soups or sauces and vegetables. It is great with asparagus and cheese sauce!
Makes about 16 cups
2 cups soaked quinoa (soak one cup of quinoa in 1 ½ cups water for two hours)
8 cups rolled oats
1 cup walnuts (or other nuts that you enjoy)
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup wheat germ or ground flax seed
1 cup chopped dried fruit
1 cup canola oil
1 cup honey
Preheat oven to 250 degrees
1. Heat oil and honey in a saucepan; stir until well blended
2. Stir in remaining ingredients
3. Spread on a baking sheet (you may need to use more than one baking sheet.)
4. Bake in oven for about one hour, stirring occasionally.
5. Allow to cool
6. Package in air-tight plastic bags.
Nutrition facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup)= 228 cal, Protein = 5 grams, Carbs = 24 grams, Fat =12 grams (healthy fat)