A hearty nutrient dense training breakfast
Makes 1 hearty serving-about 1 1/2 cups
¼ cup dry quinoa (rinse well before cooking)
¼ cup dry old-fashioned oatmeal
1 cup water
¼ cup walnuts (or other nuts you enjoy)
¼ cup dried fruit (i.e. chopped apricots, blueberries, raisins, etc.)
1. Bring water to a boil
2. Add quinoa, stir and simmer for 10 minutes UNCOVERED.
3. Stir in oatmeal, COVER, and remove from burner.
4. Allow to sit for 10 minutes.
5. Stir in walnuts and dried fruit
6. Take a deep breath, envision yourself crossing the finish line, and ENJOY!
Variations: To boost your antioxidants, replace water with green tea.
To increase carbs, replace ½ water with fruit juice.
Add pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, ground flax seeds, or wheat germ.
Nutrition facts (basic recipe)
Calories=475; carbs=61 grams.; pro=12.5 grams; *fat=22grams; fiber=11.5
*18 grams from walnuts-an excellent source of HEALTHY fat
Excuse me now, gotta run.
“Inspiring, educating and supporting athletes (like you) to exceed your personal best.”